What We’ve Learned Part 1May 5, 2015
Good people make good companies.May 31, 2015
We’re lucky to live in a place that is often listed as one of the Top 5 places to live in America. The Triangle area of North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) has a lot of great things going for it.
After reading and hearing so many things over the years (it seems like every week some magazine or organization names the area #1, or #3, or #5 in terms of this or that), and more importantly living here, we also have a list as to why it is such a good place to live (and work):
- It is growing. 82 households (either a family or couple or individual) move here. A rising tide lifts all boats (in business, it doesn’t lift all because some fail, but there is a general lift);
- Lots ‘o smart people.
- #1 MSA for those with PhDs (thank you universities and high tech companies);
- Along with smaller universities such as NCCU, Shaw, Meredith, etc. the Triangle is home to NC State, UNC, and Duke University. This means lots of educated people come to work and learn here, and the commercial, social, and cultural benefits abound;
- Yes, we have seasons (Sorry, Florida), so it does get hot, cold, and in between. 70 degrees every day sounds great, but wouldn’t you miss the crisp football weather of October, and an occasional sledding run? Also, we never get bombarded with feet of snow that lasts for months (Sorry, Boston and Buffalo), or have dripping humid hot spells that last for 6 months (Again, Florida, our apologies). The falls and springs last 4 months apiece. Many great weather days every year;
- Sports! Want to see any Division 1 sport? We have it in spades. How about professional Hockey, we have the Carolina Hurricanes. And, you should base your life on going to at least one Durham Bulls baseball game every year. And, can you say Basketball? Tobacco Road is home to 3 storied basketball programs (see above – UNC, NCSU, and Duke) have won 10 NCAA championships in the modern era. Heard of Dean Smith? Coach K? Jim Valvano? They did their work right here, my friend, and the stratosphere of greatness will only expand;
- Nice people and different people. This area has southern hospitality and general kindness in its roots. On top of this foundation, there are people from all over. With many moving here in the last 30 years, there is a diversity which adds to the cultural flavor. New York, Ohio, California, Texas, Mexico, India, China, and everywhere in between have contributed to our growth and appeal;
- Good food. What do you like? It is here. My favorite is Bandito’s Mexican. But, even you have upscale tastes, you will find it here. And, if you like barbeque, you will never leave;
- Great residential cleaning companies. Ok, that is a shameless plug. We are one, but there are many more. Employ the one you like and trust, and make your life easier by having your house professionally cleaned, so you can enjoy all of the above about the #1 place to live in America.
– The Tidy Maids